For breakfast this morning, I enjoyed a massive stack of fluffy Cinnamon Pecan Pancakes. Now, you can too.
The sweet-spicy wooden taste of cinnamon, the crunchy texture and buttery flavor of pecans… on top of warm, fluffy, but slightly crisp, pancakes drizzled in dark, robust maple syrup. Can you taste them yet? Writing about this makes me want to curl up next to a fire in an oversized sweater and knee length socks. But, I live in Central America at the moment, so that’s that.
Back to these pancakes – I have tried and failed many times to perfect a vegan and gluten-free pancake recipe. Part of my homework involved trying tons of recipes online in order to learn more about ingredients and ratios that work well together. Too. Many. Pancakes.
I must say, though, that none of the simple pancake recipes really stood out. Now, I’m not talking about the delicious chocolate peanut butter pancake recipes or anything like that. I’m talking about a plain and simple pancake recipe. If you know of any that I must try, please feel free to send them my way!
My favorite vegan & gluten free pancake recipes that I have come across included banana as a base, but I was eager to develop a pancake recipe that wasn’t banana flavored.
The main issue I kept running into was that most of the recipes tasted bland and way too starchy. They were overloaded with baking powder, baking soda, egg replacers that contain starch and gluten-free baking flours that are already loaded with starch! You can see the problem here. So, I completely took out some of those ingredients and started to test with alternative flours in the mix (almond flour being my favorite).
Now, here we are.
I've added a vegan and non-vegan option for this recipe. I hope you enjoy them!
Here's what you need:
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs for vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups almond flour, blanched
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking flour (this may vary depending on brand used)
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil (melted)
- Pecans, for topping
Here's how to make them:
- Crack the eggs (or add the flax eggs) into a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Add the almond milk and vanilla, and whisk gently.
- Add the coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, and whisk again.
- Add the almond flour and gluten-free baking flour, and whisk again.
- Add the melted coconut oil, a little at a time, while continuing to stir the batter. TIP: If the coconut oil hardens once it’s in the mixture due to other cold ingredients, the pancakes won’t fry properly. Make sure it’s liquid, and be sure to pour in a little at a time while stirring the batter.
- Heat a lightly (coconut) oiled pan over medium-high heat.
- Use a ¼ cup to scoop and pour the batter onto the griddle, browning each side, and serve hot! Top with more cinnamon, toasted pecans, and maple syrup!