Nothing quite hits the spot like an ice cream sandwich on a warm and sunny day, am I right? A block of vanilla ice cream wedged between two chocolate chip cookies, extra chocolate chips around the sides… I know, I’m drooling too.
The best part? This is a healthier version of our childhood favorite, which makes it soooo much better! Most popular, store-bought ice cream sandwiches are loaded with artificial sweeteners, additives and more ingredients you do not want to put into your body.
These, however, are completely dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar-free and vegan! Are you with me now?
Here's what you need:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (this is your egg replacer)
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- Chocolate chips to taste (1/2 cup - 1 cup should be perfect!)
Here's how to make it:
- To a mixing bowl, add all ice cream ingredients and stir.
- Pour mixture into an ice cube tray. Freeze overnight.
- When your coconut milk ice cubes are firm, transfer them to a blender, and blend until creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Pour ice cream mixture into a brownie tin and flatten it out as much as you can.
- Store in freezer until firm (at least an hour).
- Add vegan butter (softened) to a mixing bowl.
- Add applesauce to the bowl and mix together by mashing with a fork.
- Add cane sugar to the bowl and mix with your fork.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add arrowroot, baking soda and salt and mix again.
- Add gluten-free flour (1/2 cup at a time) while continuing to mix.
- Add blanched almond flour and mix well until your cookie dough is thick and cookie-dough like.
- Store in fridge for at least an hour before baking.
- Remove cookie dough from the fridge (it should have been kept cold for at least an hour) and, with a cookie dough scooper, scoop into even-sized balls.
- Using your fingers, gently flatten slightly, placing them onto a cookie sheet (I also used aluminum foil).
- Bake on 350 F until golden brown! This happens very quickly. In my oven, it takes 7-10 minutes. So, keep a close eye and don't go very far!
- As soon as you take them out, even though they are golden brown, they will be very soft to the touch, so allow them to cool for a few minutes before moving them. They will firm up during this time.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer, and use a cookie cutter to form even-sized circles. Immediately transfer back to the freezer while you bake the cookies.
- Once the cookies are cooled down, remove ice cream circles from the freezer and make your ice cream sandwiches! You can eat them as is or add extra chocolate chips around the ice cream. Enjoy!