Looking for a yummy dinner you can get on the table in less than 30 minutes? Keep on reading!
Busy weeknights call for simple recipes that can be made as quickly as possible. You know how it goes… You get home from work, you’re tired and hungry, and the last thing you feel like doing is spending an hour in the kitchen… sound familiar? If so, this one’s for you!
This one’s a bit of a twist on the traditional Italian pesto sauce recipe. It’s dairy-free and has fewer calories! Like the traditional pesto sauce, though, it’s fresh, nutty, herby and just outright delicious. Not to mention, it’s a sauce that is truly made to go with pasta. You know what I mean?
There are about half a dozen ingredients that go into pesto, but everyone has their own way of making it. If I had to pick one thing, though, that can really make the world of a difference in your sauce, it’s the quality of the basil! Good quality basil will bring out the most beautiful flavors of this recipe. So, what do you say… ready to get started?
Here's what you need:
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (can sub blanched almonds)
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Gluten free pasta (however much you'd like)
Here's how to make it:
- In a large pot, add water and salt. Boil the water.
- While you're waiting for that water to get to a rolling boil, add basil and pine nuts to a food processor, and pulse a few times.
- Add garlic and pulse again a few more times, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the olive oil and pulse again until everything is mixed.
- Stir in salt and pepper (a little at a time) until you have reach desired taste.
- Squeeze lemon and stir again.
- Once your water is boiling, add pasta and let it cook until desired consistency (it all depends on the pasta)!
- When ready, drain the pasta and immediately add your pesto. The oil will coat the pasta very nicely! Serve.